What is Reconciling in Christ (RIC)?
- A Reconciling in Christ (RIC) church is a church that supports LGBTQIA+, black, brown, and indigenous people.
- RIC supports BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) in our community and their families.
- RIC advocates for the full welcome, inclusion, and equality for ALL Lutherans as equal members in the family of Christ.
- By saying we are an RIC church, we are saying we are Lutherans working with the recognition that racism, sexism, able-ism, heterosexism, homophobia, and all the other artificial distinctions that seek to raise one group into privilege over another, conspire together to diminish that thought.
- It builds on relationships through outreach and education and shares the Gospel message of equality.
- RIC churches advocate for systems of change in policy and practice within church and society – working to alleviate the painful symptoms of oppression.
- ReconcilingWorks (the organization sponsoring the RIC program for Lutheran congregations) is committed to strengthening all of God’s beloved for authentic, visible, faithful lives and to work for systemic changes within the church and society.
English Lutheran is currently in the discerning process of becoming a Reconciling in Christ congregation. Please feel free to reach out to any of the RIC Team Members with questions or to learn more!
Click here to read our proposed Welcome Statement.
Current Discussion Opportunities
Join us over the next several weekends for discussions to learn more about what it means to become a Reconciling in Christ congregation…one that intentionally welcomes all people. We will be voting as a congregation on whether to become an RIC congregation at our annual meeting in February, 2024.
- Saturday, September 16 at 6:00pm: We will look at an overview of the process of becoming a Reconciling in Christ congregation.
- Sunday, September 17 at 9:45am: We will discuss how we read the Bible.
- Sunday, September 24 at 9:45am: We will discuss Bible verses that have been used to exclude certain people.
- Sunday, October 1 at 9:45am: We will discuss Bible verses that have been used to welcome all people.
- Sunday, October 22 at 9:45am: An open forum for discussion and Q&A about becoming a Reconciling in Christ congregation.
English Lutheran RIC Timeline & Activities
RIC Team Members
RIC team meets every second Thursday of the month.
Ministry Moment testimonials written by RIC team members for E-Voice.
Develop and post RIC resources on ELC's website.
Bible Study with Pastor Mark Kvale, Temple Talks. (postponed until fall)
Draft and revise a Welcome Statement.
Congregational vote on becoming an RIC congregation at Annual Meeting